Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I thought it would NEVER happen to us!

Recently I have read several horror stories on blogs about people accidently locking their kids in their cars. One lady said that she had heard that it happens to every parent at one point in parenthood. Well.....not me I thought! I have been a mom for nearly 9 and a half years, and I have never even come close to accidently locking my children in the car.
Anyway, that was all changed today. I recieved a call in my classroom at about 2:20 this afternoon. It was Sam and his first words were "Guess what crisis we are having now?".....oh no...all kinds of things raced through my head, maybe he had been in a wreck, maybe he had lost one of the kids, maybe LilliAnn (our sitter) quit, maybe he was laid off. He then proceeded to tell me that the girls were locked in LilliAnn's car.
The story goes....Sam was helping LilliAnn get the girls in her car after they picked them up from school. LilliAnn had laid her keys on her front seat, and Sam closed the door for some reason. Her car was then locked with the keys and Ella and Emma inside. When I talked to Sam he said that the locksmith was in route to the church where the kids go to school, and it would be about 20 minutes. He said that the girls were fussing off and on, and seemed very confused about what was happening. When the locksmith arrived it took only seconds (and $45) to open LilliAnn's car. Thank goodness it wasn't August!! We did learn that we could have called the fire department to unlock the car, but we were worried that they could possibly damage LilliAnn's car. The girls were not traumatized, and came through the experience without too many tears. I seriously hope that this was our one experience with this crisis!! I know Sam and I will be VERY careful from now on!!

No comments: