Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Pa

At the amazing age of 97 years old my Pa passed away last night. He was my great grandpa, and great great grandpa to our 4 children. Words cannot describe what a very special man that he was. He loved his family with all of his heart, and he made that so very obvious.

Raymond Cecil Fant, my Pa, was a decorated World War II veteran. He was a POW shot and captured by the Germans. He spent more than 9 months in a German prisoner camp, and came out of captivity weighing around 90 pounds. He received a Purple Heart for his bravery....and all of this only begins to describe what a wonderful man that he was.

We saw him the weekend before Christmas this year. He was at home, in a hospital bed, receiving around the clock care, my Granny never left his side. He recognized us, and gave us hugs and kisses. He ooohed and ahhhed over the girls, and he was very proud of the boys. Caden got a real kick out of Pa because he thought that a mole on Cade's face was a tick. ; )

I wish that I had a scanner. I would scan some of the cherished pictures that I have of him. I was his first great grand baby, and he and my Granny were so proud when I was born. These small town folks braved city traffic and drove to Dallas from Texarkana and spent weeks at a time with my brother and me. Pa and Granny would have done anything in the world for us, and I knew this at a very early age. They worked hard to keep in touch with Caleb (whose middle name is Fant after Pa) and me even after my parents got a divorce.

I will always remember Pa in his Wranglers, and pearl snap shirts. He will always have a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie in his hand,The Price Is Right will be playing on his TV, and his undivided attention will be given to me whenever I want it, that's how it always was. In my mind I will be standing in line with him at Luby's, and he will be telling me how proud of me that he is. He will tell me not to settle for any bad guys, and to make sure that I finish college and get a good job.

In the end I know that I made my Pa proud. He told me so every time that I saw him. I am more grateful than I can ever describe that I am one of the very few people that has gotten to have their great grandpa as a part of their life until age 29. My children will be some of the few that have ever met their great great grandpa. And Caden will hold special memories of Pa, I know that because he burst into tears this morning when I shared the news with him.

Sometimes it is amazing the way that things happen. Carson was sick throwing up overnight last night. I decided when he threw up for the 4th time at 6:32 this morning that I should put my absence in the sub system. I got on the computer and I noticed an e-mail that had been sent only minutes before. It was from Julie, my step mom, and the subject was Pa. I didn't even have to read it to know the message, I just knew. If events hadn't lined up that way I probably wouldn't have checked my e-mail until late this afternoon. Granted, I probably would have received a call before then, but I believe in my heart that my Pa wanted me to know right then.

Thank you Pa for my lifetime full of memories, I love you.

2 comments:

Chelsi said...

Oh, Erica, your post brought tears to my eyes! I am so sorry to hear about pa. He was lucky to have a sweet great grandaughter like you! What touching words you had for him. I am sure he is smiling, knowing your thoughts. You and your family will be in my prayers.

bren said...

I feel the same as Chelsi. You really know how to put your feelings in to words well. You all were lucky to have had him so long in your lives. He sounds like a very special man. I know what you mean about the unconditional love and interest only grandparents and parents seem to have. I miss having that in my life. I know you feel lucky to still have many others still there for you. Take care. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Brenda