Wednesday, June 15, 2011

TEN YEARS......

The first Friday in June I completed my 10th year as a teacher, all with Arlington ISD! I can hardly believe that it's been that long!
My first year as a teacher, only a month into the job as a brand new 23 year old, I remember driving to work listening to 106.1 KISS FM hearing that a plane hit the World Trade Center in NYC. I thought it was a joke, but it wasn't. By the end of that horrid day I had 7 kids left in my classroom, because terrified parents pulled their children from school. I remember everything about 9-11-01 like it was yesterday. I can hardly believe it's been nearly 10 years!! That really dates me!
While that terrible day is a vivid memory of my last 10 years as a teacher, I have maaaannnyyy other memories that make everything that I've put into 10 years worthwhile. Watching my former students on Facebook is so exciting to me!! My first class (3rd graders in the 2001-2002 school year, and pictured above) just graduated from Arlington H.S........sooooo crazy to me that they are that old!
While many have tested my patience, I've always found something I could love about each of them, they are kids and kids are beyond innocent. I hope that the small impact I had on each of their lives meant something to them.
I've had the privilege to teach 2 classes of 3rd graders, 1 class of 5th graders, and 7 classes of 4th graders. Teaching is the ultimate job if you are a working mommy, and I'm grateful for the experiences I've had!! Here's to the next 10!

My favorite team at Key!

Julie and I celebrating our AISD 10 year service awards

Tiffany, me, and Julie 10 years with AISD

No comments: