Sunday, August 22, 2010

Feeling nostalgic...

nostalgia: an excessively sentimental yearning for return to some past period
This morning I woke up at 5:00 a.m. on the last day that I could actually sleep in! I was WIDE awake, there was absolutely no way that I could go back to sleep. Two things I noticed right away were the lump in my throat and the butterflies in my tummy. It has just now really hit me...tomorrow my Car-bear starts kindergarten! Not to mention that his big brother will start 6th grade, but in Arlington 6th grade is still in elementary school...thank God! I don't think that I could handle tomorrow if Cade was starting junior high on the same day that Carson starts kindergarten! I guess I'll tackle that next year when the twins start kindergarten..ha!!

Last Thursday Carson opened his letter from his teacher Mrs. Binford, and we went to supply drop off. I know he is going to have a wonderful year with a teacher who will love him more than I could ever hope for. He will attend the school where I report to work every day, and for that I am very thankful. I will watch firsthand his educational experiences for the next 6 years. We will pass each other in the hall, I can peek in on him at lunch, and my favorite....I will watch him play on the playground with a picture perfect view from the window in my classroom. I know that what I have is very rare, and I will treasure every moment!


Carson has already spent much of his almost 6 years of life within the walls of an elementary school. I found out that I was pregnant with him during January of my third year teaching. The 5th graders that I had that year even threw me a little surprise going away party/baby shower (those 5th graders will be seniors this year...crazy). The school that I was "going away" to was Key Elementary, where I have been for the past 6 years. My first day of teaching at Key I was 8 months pregnant with Carson and Cade was experiencing his first day as a kindergartner....talk about an emotional basket case!! I cried NUMEROUS times that day! I vividly remember seeing Cade lining up holding his little lunchbox in the cafeteria. I truly lost it in front of a whole crowd of people! Starting kindergarten is a BIG deal! And from my experiences it all seems to FLY by after that!

Here is my future kindergartner nestled in my belly on the day that it all began for his big bro. We are in front of room 504, the same place that I have been lucky enough to keep as my little nook to teach my 4th graders.

I just threw this picture in because I LOVED being pregnant with Carson. It truly was the easiest pregnancy that I had.

Cade's first day of Kindergarten and my first day teaching at Key. I love that Carson was there for that!

My pumpkin! How in the world did you grow up sooooo fast?!

Here is Carson with his "Slickers", his buddy all those days when Cade and Mommy were at school, and he was home playing with his Nana.

I can't wait to update the blog after tomorrow! It truly is a milestone day! I will shed tears for sure, they will be happy and nostalgic tears because my baby is growing up. Good luck to anyone else who has one starting kindergarten tomorrow, especially Carson's BFF's mom Shawna! I'm glad to know that I'm not in this alone!

4 comments:

Shawna Nicholson said...

Stupid Erica! I should have never read this blog today. :) So sweet. Tell Carson we hope he has a good first day too! :)

I'm just hoping the teachers will be able to get me to leave. ;)

Chelsi said...

He was the cutest pumpkin ever!

Meg said...

Made me all teary reading this. So very sweet with such special memories.

Binford Family said...

this is one of the sweetest posts- i love it and all the pictures that go with it