Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Old Man Slick

Sam took this picture of Slick and me a couple of weeks ago. We couldn't remember the last time this old guy had posed for a picture! Since last March his life has been a little different! After being an "only dog" for almost 12 years, Slick got a new sister (Sophie) and a new brother (Cooper) within weeks of each other! We aren't really sure how he feels, because he's 90% blind and pretty darn deaf. He tolerates sharing a kennel with "So-So" since she hates being by herself, and he puts up with his huge baby brother trying to play with him. He wanders around our house like an old man who is lost. :( However, he still loves going to the park, riding in the car, and getting attention from whoever will give it to him. He's still a big wimp about staying outside, and will let you know with his loud (and annoying) bark whenever he wants back in.

He will turn 13 this May! It's really hard for me to fathom that we will have a teenage dog! He was a mere 5 months old when Sam and I met! He greeted me when I pulled into Sam's parents driveway for the first time. I quickly banned him from sleeping in the bed when I moved in with Sam. He tore up countless things of mine as he was going through the teething stage, including most importantly the pregnancy test that told me that Cade was coming! I was soooo mad!!
Slick has turned into a family member, even though I used to ask Sam why he didn't pick out a cuter dog (how sad). We still have always loved him even if we have missed quite a few yearly vet appointments as we payed for DOC bands and hospital bills. He has greeted me each time I came home from the hospital with another baby, or 2. He has been an outstanding dog with the kids...patient, loving, perfect kid dog.

We're not sure how much time our oldest furry family member has left, but we hope to make his last years the best!! We love you Slickers!!!

2 comments:

Chelsi said...

Aww0 sweet post- Cade and Slick has a something in common with lots of new siblings after being "onlys" for a long time.

Shawna Nicholson said...

How sweet Erica!! Getting sentimental now huh? I remember you complaining about him those many years ago! :) Treat him nice. I pretty much became a slight stranger to our dogs since having kids...so I felt HORRIBLE when Hunter died. Be sweet to poor Slick! Not only have you added 2 dogs...but 4 kids! He deserves lots of treats...miss you and hope to see you soon. (Cade and Corbin's birthdays maybe?)